>I think Maggie Coleman is quite right that one can offer a
>critique of non-Western cultural practices (i.e dowry, widow
>burning) without being a cultural chauvinist.

May I ask what it means to call something a "cultural
practice"?

In the media, and to undergrads I teach, it means that
the practice is widespread and of some antiquity, and
that it has a positive value in cultural terms, enjoys
social consensus, or is at least tolerated.

Is it being argued that sati and dowry deaths meet those
criteria?  Or is some other meaning implied?

Is slavery a western cultural practice?  Is lynching a
U.S. cultural practice?  Are violent attacks on nonwhites
by citizens and police a U.S. cultural practice?

Best, Colin