I have repeatedly tried to return my comments directly to MS Quan and
to Harry Cleaver directly but the messages keep getting bounced back.
They can send stuff to me but I can't send back to them directly.
This was sent to me privately by someone and I wanted to share the
concepts without subjecting the person who kindly sent it to
identification and possible harassment so it is edited to remove any
basis for identifying the person or from where it was sent. It is
legitmate.

                                Jim Craven

Please forward this to Ms Quan. Attempts to reach her directly have
[EMAIL PROTECTED] The name of this response was edited so that
this person will not attract the attention of this organization.
Thank you
                                Jim Craven

I really must say that I find that you are being unfairly dumped upon by
a number of prostitutes who seem to me entirely unrepresentative. As you note
there are certainly great variations in the working conditions of prostitutes
and no doubt there are "paternalistic" academics who ignore the fact that some
prostitutes are such by choice, do well, and are hardly victims. I expect
though that the vast majority of prostitutes are such out of economic necessity
or parental pressure --as in Thailand, and are often abused both by pimps and
by customers. The reality of a high class prostitute is no more
representative of prostitutes in general than is a well-paid manager of a large
company represenative of the condition or attitudes of the working class in
general.
    In ______, I can say that prostitutes in the inner city of _____
come from poor backgrounds, broken homes, and quite a few are off
reserve natives who have few skills and little resources and turn to
prostitution as one of the few ways of making a living. Many are
alcoholic and in poor health. These prostitutes cannot be compared
with the young college women at ---- universities who turn tricks as
high class call girls to help pay for their sports cars and tuition.

*                           "Those who take the most from the table,*
*  James Craven                teach contentment.                   *
*  Dept of Economics         Those for whom the taxes are destined, *
*  Clark College               demand sacrifice.                    *
*  1800 E. Mc Loughlin Blvd. Those who eat their fill,              *
*  Vancouver, Wa. 98663        speak to the hungry,                 *
*  (360) 992-2283              of wonderful times to come.          *
*  Fax: (360) 992-2863    Those who lead the country into the abyss,*
*  [EMAIL PROTECTED]           call ruling difficult,               *
*                              for ordinary folk." (Bertolt Brecht) *
* MY EMPLOYER HAS NO ASSOCIATION WITH MY PRIVATE/PROTECTED OPINION  *

------- =_aaaaaaaaaa--