Max Sawicky wrote,

>Yeah but every theory abstracts from something.  Whether
>it's important or not is another way of saying whether you
>dig the theory.  (I've started rereading the Beats.)

I can dig that.

>A virtue of utilitarianism is that in its specificity it is more
>compelling than utter fuzziness, the edge of which you
>are skirting here.

Maybe it's just my fetish for fuzzy-edged skirts showing. I agree that the
specificity of utilitarianism may make it more "compelling" than utter
fuzziness. What is at stake in Ellsberg's Paradox, however, is precisely
what the rules are for specifying utility (under some, not all, conditions).
If those rules are demonstrably wrong or incomplete then the admittedly
compelling specificity of utilitarianism may be arbitrary. On the other
hand, if we can specify the fuzziness (ambiguous information states), then
the fuzziness may indeed turn out to be less "fuzzy" than the misplaced
specificity of presumably unfuzzy utilitarianism. Or as Ellsberg put it:

"(1) Certain information states can be meaningfully identified as highly
ambiguous;
 (2) in these states, many reasonable people tend to violate the Savage
axioms with respect to certain choices;
 (3) their behavior is deliberate and not readily reversed upon reflection;
 (4) certain patterns of 'violating' behavior can be distinguished and
described in terms of a specified decision rule."

Can you dig it?

Regards,

Tom Walker
knoW Ware Communications
Vancouver, B.C., CANADA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(604) 688-8296
The TimeWork Web: HTTP://WWW.VCN.BC.CA/TIMEWORK/