On Thu, 14 Aug 1997, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> To summarize: I am not arguing that there is no exploitation of women doing
> sex work -- there is plenty, especially of the non-white workers.  But that
> does not mean that sex work work should be abolished (as they did in Cuba or
> China which -- I strongly suspect-- was an expression of patriarchal petty
> bourgeois morality than anything else), just as the dismal conditions in the
> "Satanic Mills" did not justify abolishing textile industry altogether.  It
> means that sex work should be treated and protected in the same way as any
> other kind of work.

This seems nuts to me. After Castro took over, the government was faced
with the appalling legacy of Cuba as the fleshpot of the United States. It
was used for sex tours the way that the Philippines is used today by
American or Japanese tourists. In the current issue of the Village Voice
there is an article on a Queens travel agency that takes men to a 10-night
sex tour of the Philippines. The article states:

"But if Big Apple is withering, the sex-tour industry is thriving.Fueled
by giant disparities in the global economy and the ever increasing ease of
travel, international gender exploitation has blossomed into what may be
as much as a billion-dollar industry, according to ECPAT, an international
children's rights group that says its name stands for End Child
Prostitution Child Pornography and Trafficking of Children for Sexual
Purposes. A growing number of companies organize trolling expeditions of
the sex industry, which group up around Western military men in poor Asian
countries. Advertising in magazines such as Asia File and Soldier of
Fortune, most will also happily send you videos and related merchandise...

But the draw is not just plentiful cheap sex, but also the chance to feel
desirable. Filipina 'ladies are interested in all American men regardless
of age, weight, or looks,' promises Bushwhackers, a Nevada-based tour
company. 'It's like being an attractive woman in America,' one satisified
customer has been quoted as saying. 'You look like Tom Cruise and you're
that rich!' Sex-tour leaders also tap into plain old hostility toward
'American bitches who won't give you the time of day,' as one brochure
puts it. Tales of toe kissing, hand laundering, and other forms of
Asian-female subservience are juxtaposed with nasty swipes at feminist
foes of sex tourism, whom Alan Gaynor of Philippine Adventure Tours has
called 'a bunch of jealous, frustrated trouble-makers who don't know the
truth.'"

My guess is that the Philippine revolutionary movement calls for the end
of such sex-tours and would probably ban prostitution on taking power.
This sort of goal has nothing to do with the movement in the United States
to legalize prostitution. Many women in the United States who are in the
sex industry put forward arguments that we are hearing here and should be
judged on their own merits. The question of prostitution in countries like
pre-revolutionary China and Cuba and the Philippines of today involves all
sorts of issues related to colonial oppression and require a different
approach. It would be foolhardy for Western Marxists to rationalize what
is going on in Thailand, India or the Philippines.

Louis Proyect