An interesting parallel is the solution that is being offered by the
Southeast Asian governments to their industrial sector.  Bec of the more
than 50 percent decline of the home currencies against the US$, the
export sector has been exhorted to export as the way out of the current
economic crisis they are in now.

However the snag is that before the crisis had enveloped the economies,
the production capacity of the export sectors were already at the
limits.  Also exporting their way out of the current economic crisis may
not be fully taken advantaged bec of a credit squeeze which  is already
happening with interest rates creeping upwards.

It remains to be seen if Southeast Asia will be able to attract US MNCs
to invest in factories or other FDIs similar to the Japanese in 1995
when the yen appreciated against the US$ to about 90Y per US$.

Aidi