from today's L.A. TIMES, Dec. 21, 1997:

Sunday, December 21, 1997

 COLUMN LEFT / ELLEN J. DANNIN
 The System Is Stacked Against the Unions
 A method fairer than collective bargaining would meet the needs of employer
 and employee.
 By ELLEN J. DANNIN

 Suppose you were an employer whose employees were represented by a
 union. Now suppose that the labor laws you bargain under state that
 when the parties reach an impasse, you, the employer, get to impose
 your final offer. What would you do?

 When I asked my 12-year-old daughter this, she said, "Well, duh! I'd try to
 get to an impasse so I could impose whatever I wanted. Actually, I'd offer
 things I really wanted and that the union would hate. That way I'd get my way,
 and we'd be at an impasse." Then she asked if this was just some joke.

 In fact, this is the way U.S. labor laws work and have been working for the
 last couple of decades. There are some legal details, of course. The employer
 who bargains in bad faith can't implement his final offer. However, since the
 mid-1980s, the National Labor Relations Board has allowed employers to come
 to the table with a strong view as to what they want and make no movement.
 Employers can propose terms they know will be completely unacceptable and
 are certain to lead to an impasse. None of this is considered bad faith
bargaining.
 As a result, it's not hard for an employer to do no real bargaining, but
also not to have bargained in bad faith.

 The best that unions can do under this system is make concessions in an
 effort to show that the parties are not at an impasse. They know that if the
 workers strike, the employer can replace them. Although the law forbids firing
 strikers, it allows an employer to permanently replace them. As my labor law
 professor said back in school, "Query: Would you rather be fired or permanently
 replaced?"

 Implementation is now a common feature of U.S. bargaining. Among the
 employers that have implemented their final offers in recent years are
Caterpillar,
 the Detroit News, the National Football League, Major League Baseball owners,
 Exxon, International Paper and Bridgestone/Firestone.

 The law that allows this practice makes a tremendous difference in how
 collective bargaining works in the U.S. and limits how effective unions can
be. I
 recently gave my labor law class a mock bargaining exercise. The students were
 all given the same issues for bargaining but had to negotiate under three
different
 legal systems. One was the U.S. system. In the second, strikes were illegal and
 if an impasse was reached, an arbitrator would pick the best offer. In the
third,
 strikes and lockouts were legal, there could be no replacements, and no changes
 could be made until both sides agreed.

 I divided the students into management and union caucuses so that they
 could formulate their strategies and plan how to respond to the other side's
 tactics. The differences were stunning. Under the U.S. system, the management
 caucus tried to figure out how to make it appear that they were bargaining
while
 trying to get to an impasse so they could implement. The union tried to decide
 what concessions they could make to stave off impasse and whether they dared
 risk a strike. No one was thinking about how to reach a bargain that would best
 meet the needs of all parties.

 Under the other systems, both sides realized that they would have to make
 concessions and narrow their differences. Both planned to engage in real
 bargaining.

 My students' reactions mirrored real life. A recent study I was involved in
 found that 50% of union negotiators were concerned about impasse and
 implementation; 30% said the union had made concessions solely to avoid
 impasse; 56% said that the employer had told them that impasse or
 implementation was likely and in 26% of the negotiations in which impasse was
 threatened, the employer did implement.

 In other words, implementation plays a destructive role in U.S. collective
 bargaining. It practically forces employers and unions not to bargain. It
offers
 employers such a large reward for not bargaining that it would be an
 extraordinary employer who could resist the temptation by actually
bargaining as
 the NLRB intended.

 The recent International Labor Organization's World Labor Report 1997-98
 asks why unions have declined. The report points to economic issues and
 globalization but gives scant attention to the laws in each country.

 There can be no doubt that allowing implementation upon impasse is
 particularly pernicious. It has reduced U.S. collective bargaining to a shadow
 play in which the image of bargaining is projected onto a screen while
behind the
 screen, the reality is only an effort to avoid or reach impasse.

 - - -

 Ellen J. Dannin Is Professor of Law at California Western School of Law in San
 Diego and the Author of a Book on New Zealand Labor Law

 Copyright Los Angeles Times

in pen-l solidarity,

Jim Devine