I have been skimming the amazingly prolific discussion of prostitution
on pen-l and am interested to see how most contributors talk about class
issues but don't mention gender.  Gender inequality fuels prostitution
and promotes another phenomenon (which i have not seen anyone discuss
yet) of marriage 'markets' - third world women advertising themselves as
wives for the first world males looking for 'docile' and 'traditional'
wives to serve them (read sex for financial security).

The power trip that northern men get from buying 'docile' southern
brides is not something that can be explained merely in terms of class,
although international inequality does make a 'northern man' a
relatively better choice for a poor southern woman than a 'southern man'
from her own country.  Gender inequality is based on economic, social,
and political conditions that allow men to control women's sexuality,
body, and many other life choices.  Women's oppression is not limited to
market exchange.

A woman's ability to have control over her life, her job, and her body
depends on her finding a good job with good pay.  That is why
prostitution and marriage are the two most common occupations of women -
they pay better than most jobs.  The argument that divorce has risen in
the U.S. because women have more access to better jobs (I believe
McCrate puts this theory forward) is a convincing one for me.

What's different between prostitution and many marriage contracts?
1.prostitution is sex for direct payment of money,
  marriage is sex for indirect payment of money/financial security.
2.prostitution is the 'constrained choice' of many women who face
relatively lower earnings in other jobs, partially due to systemic job
discrimination against women
  marriage is the 'constrained choice' of many women who face relativley
lower earnings in other jobs, partially due to systemic job
discrimination against women.
3.prostitutes are at risk of STDs because of multiple partners,
  wives are at risk of STDs because spouses have multiple partners.
4.prostitutes are often considered 'undesireable' once they get older,
  wives are often considered 'undesireable' once they get older.

There's not much difference between the two professions, if you ask me.
High risk, relatively higher pay than other jobs.  We need more and
better jobs for women (with affordable reliable childcare, of course).

Susan Fleck

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
W (202)-606-5654, ext 415
H (301)-270-1486

My views are private and do not reflect those of my employer.