In my Macro courses, I find that when I am discussing the concepts
and paradigms embodied in the so-called "Natural Rate of Unemployment"
or target rate of unemployment, bringing in Marx's Industrial Reserve
Army opens up all sorts of discussion and thought. "The industrial
reserve army...during periods of stagnation and average prosperity,
wiehgs down the active labor-army; during periods of overproduction
and paroxysm, it holds its pretensions in check."

And I suggest that since we have so many examples of employed idiots
who would be more socially productive unemployed as well as very
talented people who are unemployed and would be more socially
productive employed, maybe we should have a lottery/draft for the
Industrial Reserve Army--no deferments. Just think, no more
embarassment for the typical unemployed guy trying to score in a
singles bar when faced with the inevitable first question (the
"question before what's your sign?", "What's your name?" or "Do you
have any nasty diseases?"): "What do you DO?"

Now, the poor unemployed guy trying to score at the old singles bar,
instead of being evasive or having to lie when asked "What do you DO?"
could say I am a lieutenant in the Industrial Reserve Army;
while you are asleep, I have sworn to defend with my life, the real
value of your dollars against all enemies foreign and domestic."
There could be uniforms and ranks and even medals ("Order of the
Phillips Trade-off", "The NAIRU Medal of Valor", and combat area bars
for those living under more extreme conditions of squalor etc). There
could be a lottery and maybe some Yuppie will get drafted in which
case his Condo must be vacated (to be occupied by someone who has
done full tours in the Industrial Reserve Army), his Beamer
expropriated (to be driven by someone who has done full tours in the
IRA) and the new recruit would be given some guides to obtaining food
stamps, tips on places like bridges and parks popular for the
homeless and then turned loose.

Since according to even bourgeois theory capitalism requires some 12
million or more people unemployed, why not spread the pain? Or,
excuse me, why not spread the opportunity to be of service in the
causes of "low inflation" and a booming Dow Jones? Children of those
drafted could go along with their parents or, elect to be adopted.
Availability for employment would be based on length of service in
the IRA.

The classes usually really get into the exercise and the extended
metaphors.

                                Jim Craven

*                             "Who controls the past,               *
*  James Craven              controls the future.                   *
*  Dept of Economics           Who controls the present,            *
*  Clark College             controls the past." (George Orwell)    *
*  1800 E. Mc Loughlin Blvd.                                        *
*  Vancouver, Wa. 98663  (360) 992-2283  FAX:  (360)992-2863        *
*  [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                                *
* MY EMPLOYER HAS NO ASSOCIATION WITH MY PRIVATE/PROTECTED OPINION  *