Cyberprotest is raging. Every moment, someone's uploading more. Billions of
bits and bytes of bilious assaults on the system. Any system. Calls to
Action. E-mail for Anarchy. Around the world, the Internet is fanning the
flames of discord.

It's all there by the gigabyte: press releases commemorating the Kent State
Four site, letters to forward to politicians to stop desecrating native
graves, calls for protests to prevent another Timorese massacre.

In its own salacious way, the Monica Lewinsky affair brought home the
point: Anyone can be a cyberpublisher.

 Commentators such as Slate magazine editor Michael Kinsley suggest
Zippergate -- whose most egregious revelations occurred on web sites  run
by everyone from the Dallas Morning News to Matt Drudge, the most notorious
e-gossip -- has done for the Internet what JFK did for television in
general and Saddam Hussein for CNN in particular.

 The Internet now renders it impossible for governments and the  corporate
media to be gatekeepers of information. Anyone with access  to the Net can
broadcast to the world.

Even the smallest band of rebels and the angriest young man can make
themselves heard and their dyspepsia known. And they are.

Last December, when 45 peasants in southern Mexico were murdered by
irregular para-militaries with ties to the Mexican government, few  * were
following their struggle. Today, the Zapatistas' collective voice carries
far beyond their home and their use of the Internet has become a harbinger
of the future of dissent, protest, revolution and heresy.

Wired magazine calls them perhaps the best-organized and most dynamic Net
presence of any political group anywhere.

The Che Guevera of cyberspace is a man whose nom de guerre is
Subcommandante Marcos. The Subcommandante, a cross between Noam Chomsky and
Jonathan Swift, has an electronic presence and the success he has achieved
using the Internet is astounding.

Forget about the Five Ws -- who, what, when, where and why -- the
proverbial elements of mainstream reporting.

 The Subcommandante uses poetry, humour, scholarship and parables to
engage people in dialogues about issues of power and authenticity  that
would make a deconstructionist weep.

``Public space has been commodified and mainstream news has been reduced to
info-tainment,'' according to Tamara Ford, who works with  * Accion
Zapatista and ZapNet Collective, Texas groups that jointly  * facilitate
some of the Zapatistas' major electronic operations.

 * ``The Zapatistas have been able to rupture that space, in part via
Marcos' skill as a performance artist.''

Others also have been quick to seize upon his strategy and this unexpected
vehicle for rapid communication and mobilization.

In B.C., for instance, despite universally nasty media, the aboriginal
rebels involved in the 1995 standoff with RCMP at Gustafsen Lake have used
the Net to win support.

The Green Group of the European Parliament, the Canadian Alliance in
Solidarity with the Native Peoples, the Council of Canadians (Victoria),
Moloqil Tinamit and other Mayan organizations in Guatemala, For Mother
Earth Belgium, the Black Community Collective & Black Autonomy
International - Canada, the Afrikan Frontline Network, Te Ropu Maori,
Support for Native Sovereignty, the Tasmania Human Rights Group, and Ramsey
Clark, the former U.S. attorney general known for his love of lost causes,
are just some of the voices now calling for a public inquiry into the
standoff.

That's quite a change from the days when Ovide Mercredi, erstwhile national
chief of the Assembly of First Nations, labelled rebel leader Wolverine
(also known as William Jones Ignace) a political extremist.

During the Gustafsen Lake siege, U.S. Mohawk Splitting-the-Sky, a.k.a. John
Hill, was portrayed by the media as a convicted murderer and participant in
the murderous 1971 prison riot at Attica, N.Y.

Splitting-the-Sky, who was paroled in 1979, isn't quite as good a
performance artist as the Subcommandante, but he has his moments.

But the Net has provided the 46-year-old Fraser Valley carpenter and father
of four a vehicle to promulgate his beliefs about native rights and justice.

 ``We found over a number of years in native activist movement the
mainstream media will only cover certain aspects of any situation,''
Splitting-the-Sky said in an interview. ``The long and short of it  is, we
don't trust the mainstream media. At Gustafsen Lake, we feel  the RCMP used
the media.''

The Internet, by comparison, has proven to be an excellent unfiltered
megaphone, he said.

``The Internet is ideal for people like us involved in the justice movement
for native rights. It is a tool to put out two sides of a story.''

 His views are echoed by activist colleague Bill Lightbown, a  71-year-old
native with more than 40 years of protest behind him.

 ``Our experience with the media is a bad scene -- the censoring has  been
atrocious,'' said Lightbown, a founder of the United Native  Nations in
B.C. ``We learned that the only way we could get our story out was over the
Internet.''

Another blizzard of dissent blows from University of Illinois law professor
Francis Boyle.

 ``I've been doing it since 1993 when I was Bosnia's lawyer and
communications with Sarajevo were cut off,'' Boyle said in an  interview.
``The only way you could get in there was with satellite  phone to have
conversations with people and that was very expensive.  With the Internet,
I could get information right out of Bosnia and I  could get my information
into Bosnia, even during wartime. It was a  vital tool.''

Since then, Boyle has single-handedly mounted human-rights campaigns and
become a tireless critic of what he calls U.S. military aggression.

``I believe the Internet will prove just as revolutionary as the printing
press was during the time of the Protestant Reformation,'' he said. ``The
printing press had a very important role in the spread of that revolution
because people could put out their tracts and pamphlets in an inexpensive
form and get them around.''

There is growing discussion about creating an intercontinental network of
alternative communication to interlink the various protest movements. But
governments are not so enthusiastic and the U.S. is leading the charge for
Internet regulation.

The Mexican administration too recently imposed controls on gathering and
disseminating information, in an attempt to hobble the Chiapas rebellion.

Corporate and government establishments are worried that the Net might also
become a weapon, citing recent computer hacker attacks on U.S. defence sites.

 As a result, many believe these days may be remembered as the heyday of
the electronic pamphleteer.

``I think they are going to try to [shut it down],'' Boyle said. ``But it
might be that from the perspective of the U.S. government that what they
created is really a Frankenstein monster that they cannot control.''

John Shafer, a 42-year-old Victoria-based actor and radio reporter, is not
optimistic.

Shafer established the comprehensive native sovereignty site, which
includes the Gustafsen Lake archives, using University of Victoria hardware
with the backing of the Vancouver Island Public Interest Research Group.

``My own sense is that it would be a mistake to build things on the basis
of this going to be here forever,'' Shafer warned.

He believes it is only a matter of time before regulation or a toll is
imposed on Internet traffic, disguised as an attempt to eradicate kiddie
porn or hate mongers who have also found the Net a marvellous distribution
tool.

``My fear is, once we get into, `We have to stop the Nazis on the Net,'
where does it go from there?'' Shafer asked.

Still, he added, for people who work in the peace movement, the
anti-nuclear movement and the human rights movement, the Internet remains a
cause for hope.

 Few can afford long-distance phone calls, much less the staggering
printing bills of a direct-mail campaign of the scope provided for  almost
nothing by the Net.

``I used to get mad at the mainstream media,'' he said. ``Now it's
increasingly irrelevant. I don't have to scan the pages of The Times
Colonist to know what's going on in Chiapas. I can read the communiques
directly.

``You know, the other thing that's interesting is e-mail is a very
congenial way to deal with these issues. In cyberspace, the colour of your
skin isn't really important.''

Vancouver Sun editorial, Friday, April 24, 1998