Friends,

To be honest, I find college towns very depressing.  Down the hill from Cornell
the rest of the place sucks.  Of course, I'm so disgusted with higher ed that I
could not bear to live among so many academics, not to mention drunken students.
I've taught for a few weeks at UMASS and I found Amherst to be just too precious.
State College, PA (Penn State) has a great reputation as a place to live, but I'd
be suicidal in a week  It is in the middle of nowhere.  Plus in these towns where
do you get the mix of people you get in a real city?  So many professors teach
about workers or race or the rest of the wrold but have only a passing
acquaintance with people of color or working people, including those who clean
their buildings and wiat on them in the dining hall.  I've often thought that we
should do what was done in the Cultural Revolution and just close the colleges for
awhile.  I've got a quote on my office door (I'm at home now and I cannnot
remember the author.)  A man asks,  "Do you think the colleges have done much for
the world?"  Another man answers "Is it the wheel that makes the water run?"  sort
of sums up my view of the higher learning and by extension college towns.

michael yates