Globalization and Its Effects on the U.S. Economy By Edward G. Boehne,
President, Federal Reserve
Bank of Philadelphia at the World Affairs Council Of Greater Valley Forge
01:00 p.m Mar 20, 1998 Eastern

PAOLI, Pa., March 20 /PRNewswire/ -- The following is the text of a speech
given by Edward G. Boehne, President, Federal
Reserve Bank of Philadelphia at the World Affairs Council of Greater Valley
Forge:

The Outlook

We have been experiencing remarkably good economic performance. This
economic expansion is now in its eighth straight
year. With rapid economic growth for several years, the unemployment rate
has fallen to near 4-1/2 percent, its lowest
level in nearly a quarter of a century. Last year more than 3 million new
jobs were created. And all of this was
accomplished without a resurgence in inflation. In fact, consumer price
inflation slowed to a little less than 2 percent in
1997, after rising more than 3 percent in 1996.

Last year's slowing inflation came as something of a surprise to economic
forecasters. With demand for goods and
services growing rapidly at a time when the unemployment rate is lower than
it has been in decades, wages are rising
more rapidly. Forecasters thought that pressure on wages would translate
into bigger price increases. Indeed, a year ago
the major risk facing the US economy was that too rapid growth in demand
would lead to overheating and rising inflation.
But businesses continue to find ways to improve productivity and keep their
unit labor costs down. Businesses also
continue to expand their capacity at a rapid clip, with the result that
capacity utilization rates in industry are now
generally lower than they were three years ago. Faster productivity growth
and enlarged industrial capacity both
contribute to keeping inflation down. So does a strong dollar and the
intense competition that American firms face from
their foreign rivals.

This year the risks facing the economy are less one-sided than they were a
year ago. Today, there is less concern that
overheating will occur. In fact, downside risks loom much larger now than
they have for the past two years. And as
testimony to the growing globalization of our economy, the concern about
downside risks to our nation's economy stems
not so much from domestic developments, but from international ones.

Although there are downside risks, my judgment is that the U.S. economy will
continue to grow at a healthy pace.
Developments in Asia will mean slower growth of U.S. exports and a rising
U.S. trade deficit, but those factors will only
partly offset the momentum in consumer spending and business fixed
investment. The net result is likely to be more
moderate growth than in 1997.

Globalization

More generally, the effects of globalization on the U.S. economy go well
beyond the issue of Asia's effects on the US
economy this year. The effects of globalization are going to be more
far-reaching and more permanent.

"Globalization" means different things to different people, so let me begin
by giving you my definition: Globalization is the
process of moving toward a world in which we produce, distribute, sell,
finance, and invest without regard to national
boundaries.

Are we in a world in which national boundaries are irrelevant? No, and we
won't be anytime soon. But we have been moving
in that direction, and we will continue to do so. A German company
manufactures cars in Mexico for sale in the United
States. Japanese consumers calling a US mail order company to buy sweaters
made in Scotland may find themselves
talking to telephone operators in Ireland. And portfolio managers in the
Hong Kong offices of New York financial firms buy
and sell Korean stocks on behalf of British as well as American investors.
Globalization, in the sense that I am using it, is
driven by reductions in trade barriers and capital controls, by attempts to
capture economies of scale, and by dramatic
quality improvements and cost reductions in long-distance communications.

While many people fear globalization, the process is not fundamentally
different from the relocation of manufacturing and
the integration of financial markets that occurred within the US in the 20th
century. We know that manufacturing plants
and jobs moved from the Northeast to the South and Southwest. At the same
time, companies established nationwide
distribution systems and nationwide brands. Now a company headquartered in
Pennsylvania may have production
facilities in 6 states, buy inputs produced in 12 states, and sell goods in
all 50 states.

Similarly, all but the largest Pennsylvania companies used to rely on local
banks for the bulk of their financing. Now they
borrow not only from local banks but also from a variety of financial firms
headquartered in other parts of the country.
And residents of Pennsylvania, who used to keep their savings on deposit at
local banks, now entrust much of their wealth
to portfolio managers in New York who buy stocks and bonds issued by
companies in all 50 states. Similarly, portfolio
managers in Valley Forge handle money for residents of states other than
Pennsylvania.

Substitute "countries" for "states" and you have described globalization.

Globalization has benefits, but also costs. Let's focus first on the
benefits. US firms gain access to new markets -- Coca
Cola, Procter and Gamble, and Merck, for example, sell their products in
virtually all countries. These activities generate
profits for their American shareholders. US companies also gain access to
new sources of raw materials and intermediate
inputs, and to lower-cost locations for assembly operations that use
unskilled labor -- think of liquefied natural gas from
the Arabian Gulf, computer boards from Taiwan, and running shoes assembled
in Malaysia.

Still focusing on benefits of globalization, we know that as consumers we
have gained access to new products, including
compact disks, digital cameras, and fresh raspberries and blackberries in
January and February. And as savers, we have
gained the ability to diversify more broadly. Academic literature shows that
over the long-run internationally diversified
equity portfolios have a better risk-return tradeoff than domestic-only
equity portfolios. These benefits have led to a
higher standard of living in the U.S. and abroad.

Firms also benefit from globalization. They gain the ability to diversify
more broadly. A U.S. firm that operates in many
countries will find that recessions and booms in the many markets in which
it operates are likely to be out of sync. This
helps to stabilize companies' profits. Firms also gain the ability to make
use of financial markets worldwide.

In the last few years, we have seen that globalization can also provide a
safety valve against overheating of the U.S.
economy. One reason inflation has remained so low in the U.S. during this
business cycle is that competition from foreign
producers has made it difficult for firms producing in the U.S. to raise
prices even when they face robust demand for their
products. And firms that produce not only in the U.S. but also in other
countries have been able to expand production
abroad, and then ship to the U.S. as their U.S. production facilities run
out of slack. That has helped avoid bottlenecks.

As with the relocation of manufacturing in the U.S., globalization generates
some of its gains by allowing -- or sometimes
forcing -- relocation of production. Not everyone benefits. Just as
relocation of manufacturing from Pennsylvania to South
Carolina generates losers as well as winners, so does globalization.

The U.S. as a whole gains from reductions in trade barriers and capital
controls, but not everyone shares in those gains. In
particular, globalization appears to have contributed to the decline in real
wages of those with few skills and little
education, though more of the decline appears to have resulted from
computerization and the widespread adoption of
new technologies generally.

It is important to note that the costs of globalization do not come from
losing jobs overall. Total employment in the US
has grown dramatically as globalization has proceeded. And we need to
remember that while some U.S. companies have
moved jobs abroad, foreign firms have set up shop in the U.S. and hired
American workers. The costs of globalization
come from the fact that it is costly to shift resources from one use to
another and to retrain workers as the mix of jobs
changes. In the process of shifting resources, some production facilities
are abandoned and some workers suffer
unemployment. They do not share the gains, at least not immediately

Globalization also increases the US economy's exposure to foreign shocks. An
economic slowdown in Europe or Asia, for
example, has a bigger effect on the US economy now than it did when exports
and imports were smaller relative to GDP.
And greater international financial linkages mean that the U.S. financial
sector is more exposed to foreign financial shocks
than used to be the case. Recent financial problems in Asia provide a good
example.

Because globalization brings costs as well as benefits, policymakers face a
challenge: to maximize the benefits while
minimizing the costs.

The first task is to ensure a "level playing field" for U.S. and foreign
firms in trade, foreign direct investment, financial
services, and other areas. This is an important task, but it should not be
an excuse for protecting particular industries in
the US from foreign competition.

Another challenge is to ensure that workers displaced by the more intense
competition that globalization allows are able
to acquire new skills, to move into new industries, and sometimes even to
move to new locations.

Policymakers need to consider foreign as well as domestic economic
conditions as they make macroeconomic policy
decisions, and they also need to consider international ramifications of
domestic policy decisions. Thus there is a need for
consultation and sometimes for coordination with foreign policymakers. The
need for coordinated policymaking is
particularly strong in the arena of supervision and regulation of financial
services firms, because problems in one country's
financial sector can be quickly transmitted to other countries' financial
systems once they are tightly integrated. The
recent problems of financial institutions in Asia have driven this lesson
home again.

In general, policymakers in the US have been successful in meeting these
challenges. There is always more work to do, but
there are real successes. We have seen continuing reductions in trade
barriers and expanding free trade around the
world. We have seen declining barriers to international capital movements as
new computer and telecommunications
technology has helped to make financial markets more global.

Pursuing Good Economic Policies

Pursuing reductions in trade barriers and encouraging expanded international
trade have been good economic policy for
the U.S. We need good trade policy; declining trade barriers and the
globalization of financial markets are part of the
reason for our prosperity. But they are not the only reason.

In recent years we have seen how well our economy can operate when it is
close to price stability -- an environment we last
enjoyed in the 1950s and early 1960s, about 40 years ago. Good economic
policies have helped us achieve the strong
economic results we have been enjoying, and we must continue making good
economic policy to keep the economy strong.
By that I don't mean just good monetary policy. Widespread deregulation of
various industries has spurred competition
and helped reduce prices to consumers and costs to businesses. And much
improved fiscal policy has restrained federal
spending and reduced the budget deficit.

Last year the country began to address longer-term budget issues by passing
the Balanced Budget Act, which was
intended to balance the budget in 2002. In fact, federal tax receipts have
continued to exceed expectations, so now slight
federal budget surpluses are in sight even before the year 2002. But just as
monetary policy ought not reflect
complacency about our success in restraining inflation, fiscal policy ought
not reflect complacency about fiscal discipline.
We still have several major, long-term budget issues to address with regard
to Social Security and Medicare.

The nation's recent good economic performance and low inflation also ought
not make us complacent about the risks
facing the economy. Certainly there are both downside and upside risks this
year. Asian problems could spread and lead
to a significantly weaker U.S. economy than we currently foresee. So we must
be on guard against such a possibility. But
significant upside risks remain as well. Whenever the economy is operating
as close to full capacity of its labor and
industrial resources as it has been recently, any sharp rise in aggregate
demand is likely to lead to a resurgence of
inflationary pressures. So we must remain on guard against inflation as well
as being watchful for signs that problems in
Asia are leading to a more marked slowing of the U.S. economy.

We also cannot become complacent about our trade policies and the threat of
protectionism. The U.S. must follow the
good policies that helped bring us prosperity -- good monetary policy, good
fiscal policy, and good trade policy. If the
problems in Asia lead to a resurgence of protectionist legislation in our
nation, the result will be significant harm to world
trade. If so, we would lose a key contributor to our nation's prosperity.
SOURCE Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia

Copyright 1998, PR Newswire
===================================

SAARC Official Calls for Free Trade Area by 2001

Xinhua English Newswire
Wed, Mar 18 1998

The 2nd SAARC (South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation) Economic
Cooperation Conference opened here
Wednesday with a call for achieving a regional free trade area by the year
2001.

Addressing the inaugural session of the conference, Kantikumar R. Pondar,
president of the Chamber of Commerce of
SAARC, called for taking immediate steps for the transition from the South
Asian Preferential Trade Arrangement
(SAPTA) to the proposed South Asian Free Trade Area (SAFTA).

He called for achieving this goal by 2001 as proposed not only to reaffirm
"our faith and confidence in SAARC, but also to
keep up our image and reputation vis-a-vis the various international
organizations and regional economic groupings who
are watching us with considerable interest."

Pondar said that first of all it is imperative to sign an inter-governmental
agreement on SAFTA between SAARC countries.

Secondly, he said that to realize SAARC free trade, it is necessary to
ensure that a non-discriminatory approach is
followed by all the countries of the region.

Pondar said it may be worthwhile to consider across the board the tariff
reduction of commodities which may be retained
by SAARC members due to security or other considerations.

This would be an appropriate step since the countries are already committed
to zero or minimum tariffs by 2001, he
added.

Pondar also emphasized facilitation of communication linkages to meet the
requirement of expanding trade and
commerce between SAARC countries.

"The flow of goods and services in SAARC is currently constrained by a
tremendous lack of infrastructure and
communication linkages between our countries," he noted.

Pondar said the SAARC members have extremely limited border posts for rail
and road movement. Shipping and air links
are also inadequate.

He called for signing regional agreements to facilitate traffic by road,
railway, port and air.

Pondar hoped that a regional agreement for investment promotion and
protection be in place soon to facilitate the
setting up of joint ventures in potential areas like textile, tourism,
energy, telecommunications, jute, tea, rubber,
engineering goods and automobiles.

(Copyright 1998)

_____via IntellX_____ Copyright 1998,