To whom...,

        Hi.  New here, but not to everybody.

        When Dennis Redmond wrote that "EAM/CEM firms are, on average, far
more leveraged than their American counterparts", it really surprised me
for two reasons.  First, I know that management consultants and investment
bankers have been encouraging US firms to get cash *off* their balance
sheets for some years now.  Second, Doug Henwood posted something to
another list suggesting that the ratio of capital to output was much lower
for US firms than for Japanese and European ones.  Does what Dennis wrote
conflict with these observations?

        Second, I'd like to suggest that "return on equity" does, in some
fashion, cut across all economic systems, and that high return on equity
seems universally desirable.

        peace