At 10:03 AM 1/29/97 -0800, you wrote:

>my impression is that capitalist employers don't really _want_
>part-time workers; there are overhead costs that they want
>distributed over as many hours of a worker's time as possible.

In case of PT and temp workers that overhead costs are absorbed by the
agency that acts as an intermediary between the worker and the "end"
employer.  Thus, the "end" employer clearly benefits by passing such
overheads on the intermediary.  The intermediary, in turn, passes that cost
on the worker in the form of lower wages.  Clearly, capitalist employers
directly benefit from these "contracting out" arrangements.

wojtek sokolowski
institute for policy studies
johns hopkins university
baltimore, md 21218
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
voice: (410) 516-4056
fax:   (410) 516-8233

|Wenn ich Kultur hoere, entsichere ich meinen Browning.|
|                                         -Hanns Johst |
|When I hear "family values," I reach for my revolver. |
|                        (no apologies to Hanns Johst) |