I am very dubious about these studies. First, Manpower Demonstration Research Corporation is among the quantoid (and therefore tunnel-visioned) of the institutes researching welfare. Second, while income did rise 15%, this figure brought it to just $10,800 a year. Third, when they record increased work effort (from 37% to 50%), we should all remember (drawing on Kathryn Edin & Laura Lein's Making Ends Meet) the big lie about AFDC: recipients worked (they'd have to with benefits in the median state of $370 a month for 3 people), but  just didn't report it.

Clearly, Minnesota is, like Wisconsin, one of the more generous states. And plainly, the information on marriage rate is significant (up 50%). But this just confirms what we all know  about social reproduction: pay people even a little bit more, and they will start forming families.

Joel Blau

Jim Devine wrote:

BTW, in yesterday's TIMES, they had a story about a study of "welfare
reform" in Minnesota, that indicated that the most generous substitute for
ADFC that they tried in that state had all sorts of positive results,
including discouraging wife-beating. Of course, they made the whole program
less generous (adding a time-limit for recipients) when they made the
program state-wide, so that it looks as if the positive results won't
happen. It also indicates (to me, at least) that the types of "welfare
reform" instituted in other states, which are clearly less generous,  will
have more negative results. And those time-limits are going to pose a
problem when the recession comes...

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://liberalarts.lmu.edu/~jdevine