A couple of months ago my friend the economics professor Michael Perelman
referred me to a very important book on the Blackfoot and the whiskey trade
in the 19th century. What it revealed is that whiskey was introduced by fur
trading companies in exactly the same way that opium was introduced by the
British into China--as a way of dominating a colonized people.

He found out about the book on a history list on H-NET, so I took a look
there to see what was going on. They have a list called H-AmIndian that
seemed promising, so I joined it. While the list does contain useful
information, most days it is my worst nightmare with nothing but
announcements for journals, conferences, job openings, etc. Everybody who
posts attaches their professional affiliation.

About a month ago there were a flurry of messages dealing with American
Indians and slavery. I didn't pay too much attention because the messages
were framed in terms of the sort of scholarly minutiae that puts me to
sleep. I also assumed that they were talking about Gros Ventre taking
Blackfoot as slaves, or vice versa. As it turns out, they were talking
about Cherokees who owned black slaves. I thought it might be useful to
place this phenomenon--which amounts to a man bites dog story--into some
kind of context, so I posted this:

----
American historian George Lipsitz's _The Possessive Investment in
Whiteness_ (Temple Press) has just been published. Lipsitz, who is also the
author of the ground breaking _Rainbow at Midnight_, focuses on the
race/class dialectic. There is an extended discussion of the apparent
anomaly of Indians possessing slaves in the first chapter of his new book.
I had trouble understanding the reasons for this myself when it was first
referred to on H-AMINDIAN. Lipsitz helps to explain the context:

Aggrieved communities of color have often curried favor with whites in
or-to make gains at each other's expense. For example, in the nineteenth
century some Native Americans held black slaves (in part to prove to whites
that they could adopt "civilized" European American ways), and some of the
first chartered African American units in the U.S. army went to war against
Comanches in Texas or served as security forces for wagon trains of white
settlers on the trails to California. The defeat of the Comanches in the
1870s sparked a mass migration by Spanish-speaking residents of New Mexico
into the areas of West Texas formerly occupied by the vanquished Native
Americans. Immigrants from Asia sought the rewards of whiteness for
themselves by asking the courts to recognize them as "white" and therefore
eligible for naturalized citizenship according to the Immigration and
Naturalization Act of 1790; Mexican Americans also insisted on being
classified as white. In the early twentieth century, black soldiers
accustomed to fighting Native Americans in the Southwest participated in
the U.S. occupation of the Philippines and the punitive expedition against
Pancho Villa in Mexico. Asian American managers cracked down on efforts by
Mexican American farm workers to unionize, while the Pullman Company tried
to break the African American Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters by
importing Filipinos to work as porters. Mexican Americans and blacks took
possession of some of the property confiscated from Japanese Americans
during the internment of the 1940s, and Asian Americans, blacks, and
Mexican Americans all secured advantages for themselves by cooperating with
the exploitation of Native Americans.
----

To my surprise, the post received fairly heated rebuttals:

(1) That Cherokee elite entrepreneurs, some of whom were of mixed descent,
came to own black slaves merely to demonstrate their ability to adapt to
U.S. demands for assimilation is a simple-minded explanation. One needs to
consider the entire society and economy of the southeast. Cherokee of mixed
descent usually descended from Scotch-Irish trader fathers and Cherokee
mothers. They were fully bicultural. As part of that they came to
understand and value what they could gain from participating in the market
economy. The most lucrative aspect of the market economy in the southeast
in the late 18th & early 19th centuries involved plantation agriculture
accompanied by slavery. All the major leaders of both "parties" among the
Cherokee were slaveholders. Their investments in property, both real estate
and human, influenced their attitudes about removal. Whether we as scholars
today like that is immaterial. We need to embrace the full reality of
native history in all its multifaceted dimensions and complexity, instead
of expecting native historical actors to perform according to our
stereotyped and romanticized expectations. It's the hardest aspect that we
as educators must confront and productively deal with.  Scholars, even
those as esteemed as George Lipsitz, should refrain from facile
explanations of native behavior until they have done adequate homework in
the field. Failure to do so only perpetuates all those dreadful
stereotypes.  Melissa L. Meyer Associate Professor of History University of
California, Los Angeles

(2) Native American history is only a part of my work on racism and empire,
but I have found the discussion of various facets of Indian Slavery
extremely interesting and helpful. I would like particularly to applaud and
support the point made by Melissa Meyer in her contribution stressing the
`need to embrace the full reality of native history in all its
multifacerted dimensions and complexity, instead of expecting native
historical actors to perform according to our stereotyped and romanticized
expectations.'  Stereotyping, romantic or otherwise, leads inexorably to
racism in one form or another.  Simon Katzenellenbogen Department of
History University of Manchester Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

(3) I wish to reiterate what Melissa Meyer stated. I found the post
offensive and inaccurate as well. However, it is often the case that posts
like that are meant to bring anger and frustration to the audience that
reads it. I hope that was not the case here.  Cynthia Willis Esqueda
Department of Psychology Coordinator of Native American Studies University
of Nebraska-Lincoln

*****

Hmmmm. For some reason, these scholars had an investment in representing
the Cherokee as being diehard racists. I decided to take a walk over to
Labyrinth Bookstore at lunch and see if I could find some book on Cherokee
history that might shed further light. The first book I stumbled across,
"After the Trail of Tears : The Cherokees' Struggle for Sovereignty,
1839-1880", by William G. McLoughlin, confirmed Lipsitz's thesis. It stated
that the Cherokee were basically pressured into adopted slavery AGAINST
their own traditional beliefs in universal racial equality because they
felt it would protect them against racial oppression. It was a survival
technique. After it was instituted, racist views began to take root.
Eventually there were abolitionist trends within the Cherokee that mirrored
the national movement.

I can only surmise that the academic establishment feels the need to
highlight this essentially anomalous institution because it feels the need
to provide a "nuanced" view of the American Indian as opposed to the
radical indigenist position of people like Ward Churchill or Vine Deloria
Jr. This really is an indictment of the bourgeois academy.

Anybody who can think critically will understand what was going on. In the
general onslaught against blacks and Indians in the 19th century, a small
group of highly assimilated Indians in the southeast opted to participate
in racial exploitation of another oppressed group. This falls into the same
category of Jews collaborating with the Nazis. Instead of condemning the
overall racist system that caused such a violation of Indian beliefs and
behavior, these scholars twist the evidence in order to support an
interpretation that would minimize the genocidal aspect of American history.

I have gotten inured to these reactionary rationalizations: "The whites
massacred the bison, but the Indians massacred the saber-toothed tiger,"
"The whites colonized the Inca, but the Inca were feudal overlords
themselves," etc. I have no doubt that this business of slave-owning
Cherokees is being used in the same fashion.

Louis Proyect