Let's see if I understand this correctly.  The CIA fails to predict the Indian
nuke test -- even though early reports of it were in the press -- so they
deserve more money.  The towering regime of N. Korea threatens to bomb Hawaii
-- yes, I remember when Reagan spoke of the immanent danger of the Sandinistas
coming to Texas.

We could also throw in the destruction of the TWA flight and the Olympic
bombing as a need to protect ourselves against Arab terrorism -- so we got our
wonderful anti-terrorism law.

By the way, is anybody suspicious that the "wayward" cruise missle landed in
Pakistan.  Could it have been a form of a payoff to Pakistan -- landing an
unexploded missle -- so that they would not protest our bombing of their client
state?

Somehow there has to be a logical thread here or is logic as imaginary as the
peace dividend?
--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department