Doug Henwood wrote,

>I had more than a few minutes I could sit here and type three or four total
>disaster scenarios right off the top of my head, ranging from a run on the
>dollar to a Brazilian default to ecological disaster causing flooding and
>crop failures on a massive scale. I think the left has been seriously
>damaged over the years by forecasting 45 of the last 1 deflationary crises,
>and by assuming that crisis will do lots of political work for us.

Why are you telling ME this, Doug? I've spent the last 20 years studying and
criticizing apocalyptic narrative. I don't assume crisis will do any
political work for us at all. In fact, I assume that without an effective
response from the left, crises tend to concentrate political power in the
hands of those who already have too much of it.

The trouble with failed doomsday prophecies is not only that they discredit
the aspiring prophets and their allies, they also give credence to a
counter-myth of normal progress that has no substance of its own. Pangloss
and Cassandra are twin phantoms that take sustenance from each other's
non-being. Kind of like Republicans and Democrats.

The analysis of crisis tendencies -- not the prophecy of doom -- is one
feature of a "compelling critique of capitalism in its expansionary mode".
If one insists on equating all conjunctural analysis with apocalypticism,
then there's not much room left for critique. It's not a compelling critique
to say, as you did in your reply to Louis, that "capitalism in 1998 has
almost no progressive aspects anymore". Frankly, that's what I'd call an
apocalyptic pronouncement.

I'll go out on a limb and say that capitalism in 1998 has some extraordinary
progressive aspects left in it. The consternation of finance ministers,
central bankers and speculators is NOT about the total exhaustion of
economic prospects, but about the increasing difficulty of manouevering
between "too much" and too widely-shared prosperity, which they don't want
for political reasons, and an economic collapse, which they don't want period.

Instead of forecasting 45 of the last 1 deflationary crises, Herbert Marcuse
predicted an ongoing emancipatory threat: "Automation threatens to render
possible the reversal of the relation between free time and working time on
which the established civilization rests: the possibility of working time
becoming marginal, and free time becoming full time. The result would be a
radical transvaluation of values, and a mode of existence incompatible with
the traditional culture. ADVANCED INDUSTRIAL SOCIETY IS IN PERMANENT
MOBILIZATION AGAINST THIS POSSIBILITY [emphasis added]."

How's that for a "total disaster scenario", Doug?

Regards,

Tom Walker
#408 1035 Pacific St.
Vancouver, B.C.