Micheal laments:

>All the while, we remain unorganized....

Many of us on this list are taechers, and I imagine many of you, like me,
fancy that every once in a while something happens in a student, something
important, on the basis of the learning opportunites we structure.  Not
organizing, I know, but a bit-o-something to hold onto in the cold winter
months.  Here's my story from this semester's study abroad program here in
Bolivia:

It has been my experience that if you don't do your teaching job well, you
hear about it immediately and vociferously from dissatisfied "customers".
On the other hand, if you do alright, or even great, you might get a word
or two at semester end, perhaps even a small gift (I got New York maple
syrup this semester).  At the risk of sounding whiney, the acknowledgement
is seldom commensurate with the effort, concern, creativity, even love we
put into our study abroad programs.

But then, every once in a long while, and often quite unintentionally,
acknowledgment comes, and with a power that makes even our best efforts
seem small.  Such was the case this semester, and Tito Tricot's (Chile AD)
essay "Pinochet Must Pay For His Crimes -- It's Something Personal" and one
young man's courage were the central elements.

(I should mention that we spent some time looking at the Pinochet arrest
this semester.  The current president of Bolivia, Gen. Hugo Banzer, was a
brutal dictator in the 70s and collaborated with Pinochet in hunting down,
repatriating, torturing and killing people, a program know as "Operation
Condor".  Thus, when Pinochet was arrested, a lot of past history Banzer
wants buried became daily front-page news.)

The acknowledgement came in the introduction to a student's independent
study project.  The project was based on interviews and participant
observation in the gay community of Cochabamba.  The student took a long
time to choose the subject; at first he wanted to look at problems of water
and irrigation in neighboring arid valleys.  Clearly he was struggling with
whether to do something so close to his own feelings, sense of self, and in
the context of study abroad group dynamics which can be intense.

Once decided, he initially intended to do portraits of gay cochabambinos in
order to give young gay people references in their own processes of coming
out and being gay in Cochabamba.  However, he found the context and
material gathered did not lend itself to that format, and instead used the
information gathered to write an introductory, accessible text on the
experience and struggle of feeling gay, coming out, and being gay in
Cochabamba today.  It is meant as a support text for gay men in Cochabamba,
and it is very well done, with lots of good quotes.  In addition he did an
accompanying paper explaining objectives, methods, and results of the
process.  The following is from the Introduction to the accompanying paper.

-------------------

Introduction

>From my personal journal, October 26th, 1998:

"Though in general I've made it a rule to not write in retrospect, I think
I should record the way I felt in Sucre Saturday night ... Sometimes those
things that inspire us, that hurt us, that really make us think come in the
most unexpected places.  After a discussion of the Pinochet arrest, Tom
read us an email from one of his Chilean friends [Tito's essay].  In
chilling prose, it detailed the torture the man had endured during the
Pinochet dictatorship.  At first I felt disconnected and guilty.  My life,
it seemed, never had and never would feel such pain.  Then I thought of
Matthew Shepard, the gay man murdered recently in Wyoming, his tortured
body lashed to a split rail fence.  At that moment I felt a surge of fear
and pride.  At that moment, I realized that, like it or not, I too am part
of a struggle.  For some time now, I've fought, even rejected, my gay
identity.  To do so is to disgrace Matthew Shepard, in fact, to disgrace
anyone who has ever felt the pain of oppression however big or small.  As
tears poured down my face, I realized the fight before me...."

After struggling with the decision of whether or not to do this project for
weeks, now I ask myself how I could not.  This is for Tom's friend in
Chile, for Matthew Shepard, for my gay friends here in Bolivian and my
friends back home.  This is for every man and every woman who has ever
lived in a society that chose to oppress them for whatever reason, be it
the color of their skin or political ideology or for simply loving the
wrong person.  Most importantly, this is for me.  It is an affirmation of
who I am and who I am to become.  I am part of a struggle.  A struggle that
doesn't end a the gates of my university or even at the borders of my own
country.  Though I am painfully aware that this project is only a small
contribution to gay Bolivia's struggle for recognition and can not come
close to solving all of it's problems, I think it is an important start.

Tom Kruse
Casilla 5812 / Cochabamba, Bolivia
Tel/Fax: (591-4) 248242
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]