Proyect on his participation at the December 1996 Rethinking Marxism
conference in Amherst:

> At the opening night's reception, I downed 3 scotches in rapid
> succession to put me in the proper frame of mind for the opening
> session.

He then went on to make a comment in the discussion period at the plenary
which he describes, no doubt accurately, as "my drunken tirade".

Then, rather than attending the plenary where Judith Butler spoke, he says
that he:

> remained in my hotel room reading a history of coffee production in
> Central America.

For those unfamiliar with this affair, let me refresh your memory:

1) On an Internet list, Proyect denounces the conference in the harshest
possible terms based only his reading of the conference schedule.

2) Proyect then decides to go to the conference anyway, having agreed to
report on the conference for the German journal _Sozializm_.

We already knew that his reportage could hardly be considered impartial
and unbiased. Now we see that he was either not attending the very
sessions that he claimed to be reporting on or was engaged in a "drunken
tirade".

Why has there been so much discussion about the "Social Text affair" and
so little discussion about this fraud?

Jerry