> Hal Draper's massive KARL MARX'S THEORY OF REVOLUTION has a discussion of
> the "I am not a Marxist" quote in one of its appendices. (sorry for such a
> sketchy reference, but the volumes are at home.)
> Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &

above appears in foreword to vol. 2 (*The Politics of Social Classes*),
pp. 5-7...I've posted Draper's account of 4 instances in which Engels
refers to Marx's quip to various lists a number of times over the
years because this matter arises periodically...this time, I think
I'll just note that D maintains that E mentions M's comment in an
1882 letter to Bernstein, an 1890 letter to Conrad Schmidt, an 1890
letter to LaFargue, and an 1890 piece in the SPD newspaper...Draper
also cites an 1883 thirdhand source - G. A. Lopatin, Russian translator
of _Capital_, who said that Engels related Marx's comment to him in
conversation...E alludes to French 'Marxists' in each instance...
Michael Hoover