On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Michael Perelman wrote:

> We discussed this on pen-l some time ago.  There is a literature on the
> subject beginning with Littlefield, Henry. reprinted in 1983. "The Wizard
> of Oz: Parable on Populism." in Michael Patrick Hearn, ed. The Wizard of
> Oz (New York: Schocken Books).
> One article was even published in the Journal of Political Economy:
> Rockoff, Hugh. 1990. "The Wizard of Oz as a Monetary Allegory." Journal
> of Political Economy, 98: 4 (August): pp. 739-60.
>
> Jim Devine even led us to the Baum Bugle, a paper devoted to Baum's work.

Don't forget the lyrics for the songs in the movie by Yip Harburg.
The story is told in the book:

Who Put the Rainbow in the Wizard of Oz? : Yip Harburg, Lyricist
by Harold Meyerson, Ernie Harburg, Yip Harburg ISBN: 0472083120

I heard Amy Goodman interview Ernie Harburg (his son) about this book
and his father.

--

Joseph Noonan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]