> Michael "Not-Mike" Hoover wrote:
> >for what it's worth, the US gov't has been prohibited from carrying out
> >assassinations and assassination attempts since Gerald Ford signed
> >Executive Order 11095 (I think) in 1976...
>
> William Blum says that, in the American bombing attack upon Libya of 14
> April 1986, the "bombs dropped on Libya took the lives of a reported 40 to
> 100 people, all civilians but one, and wounded another hundred or so. The
> French Embassy, located in a residential district, was destroyed. The dead
> included Qaddafi's young daughter and a teenage girl visiting from London;
> all of Qaddafi's other seven children as well as his wife were
> hospitalized, suffering from shock and various injuries."
> Considering the above (among other unlawful uses of force), I don't know
> why Bob Barr wants to submit a bill to (formally) overturn the policy.
> Yoshie

well, I did say "for what it's worth" and I could have mentioned the
above attack as a case in point...

Barr, who worked for the CIA from 1971-1978, maintains that executive
ban results in US deploying costly extensive force when attempting to
eliminate a Qaddafi, Hussein, Milosevic, etc...he wants to rescind
formal proscription and return to 'legal' assassination operations...

btw, Reagan's EO 12333 permits the CIA to engage in domestic/foreign
surveillance of and covert operations against US citizens...it also
permits intelligence agencies to train/support local police and
secretly contract for goods/services with corporations, individuals,
organizations, and universities (I imagine that Barr's bill doesn't
address this evil shit!)

btw2, Barr has announced that he will vote in favor of Campbell's
(California Repub) resolutions requiring removal of US military from
Yugoslavia...anti-Clinton, no doubt, factors in but his announced
reasoning is that the war is depleting resources and sapping personnel
from other geographical areas...and if he can get his assassination
bill passed, the first hit-team can be deployed against Milosevic...

Stop US/NATO Bombing!  US/NATO Out of Yugoslavia!  Abolish the CIA &
the National Security State!...Michael "Not-Mike" Hoover