Carrol Cox wrote:

> This is an interesting case to illustrate how destructive concpiracy
> theories are of intelligent left analysis. I suggest you read one of
> the finest books ever written on the Vietnam War and American
> Culture: H. Bruce Franklin, *M.I.A. or Mythmaking in America*
> (New York: Lawrence Hill Books, 1992). There was a sloppy
> conspiracy of sorts, and the likes of Monika Stevenson were
> among its perpetrators, and Sam has apparently fallen for it
> hook, line, and sinker.

Not saying I agree with Stevenson, just that I found it interesting. If
she's wrong,
she's wrong in an interesting way.If true, how is the conspiracy
outlined by
Stevenson destructive of a left analysis? If true, I'm sure these MIA's
could tell a
lot about what went on in Vietnam which is what the government is afraid
of
(according to Stevenson). I mentioned Stevenson to illustrate a broader
point about
the way the ruling elite uses conspiracies to reproduce its own
hegemony. I've read
Franklin,  and just like the U.S. government, he says there were no
POW's in
Vietnam. Maybe Stevenson is sloppy and the evidence is on Franklin's
side but
alternative viewpoints are worth considering and Stevenson is the best
alternative.
Holding certain views as sacrosanct and beyond questioning is also
destructive.
Sometimes one should  read  an opposing viewpoint with the intention
that just maybe
you might be convinced. Just to keep you on your toes.

Sam Pawlett