Another important point Gore Vidal made on conspiracy theories:
(Note the following is a spoiler for the end of his novel "Kalki". Do
not read on if object to having the end given away to you.)

At the end of Gore Vidal's novel "Kalki" only a a handful (seven I
believe) men and women remain alive -- all in Washington D.C. Since
all the women are sterile, the human race is extinct, in spite of
having seven living representatives. One of the men, wonders over to
Langley, and digs out the CIA archives. He now knows the real story
about what happened to both Kennedy's, Martin Luther King Jr. and all
th other great conspiracies. Nobody listens to him when he shares this
information and all consider him a great bore. Under the
circumstances, he is focusing on utterly trivial information.

This is a point that Noam Chomsky makes too. Aside from the truth or
falsity of conspiracy theories, generally they are utterly unimportant
compared to the broader historical forces that shape our lives. What
capitalism does routinely is far worse than than the occasional secret
exceptional cases. Too much focus on conspiracy theory implies that
oppression is exceptional, carried out by "rogue" operatives rather
than being the routine policy neccesary to an operating capitalism.

In general, this is the problem with the portrayal of the CIA (and the
rest of the intelligence alphabet soup) as rogue agencies. There are
no "rogue" U.S. intelligence agencies.  U.S. intelligence carries out
policy of the U.S. government and of U.S. capital, pretty much as
instructed.