Tom Lehman wrote:

For the big industrial unions like the Steelworkers, which is a pretty
diverse if not the most diverse union, the losses in jobs resulting from
downsizing, globalization etc. have been particularly cruel to our Black
membership.  Because they and their children will never see union protected
jobs again in the so-called brownfields areas. Good jobs to which they
have had easy access.
<<<<

right: downsizing (broadly defined) hits the "last hired" (those with the
least seniority) hardest. One of the reasons for increased inequality among
wage earners is that there is a shrinking of the sector of the working
class that is able to benefit from "good jobs" (the primary labor market
jobs) so that more and more workers, including younger white workers, are
crowded in the secondary labor markets.

The whole question is where do you draw the line on globalization, and how
do you combat globalization?
<<<<

I think a better question is how can we create a _better_ globalization
rather than trying strategies that dump the costs on other nations' working
classes via protectionism and the like?

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &
http://clawww.lmu.edu/Faculty/JDevine/jdevine.html
Bombing DESTROYS human rights. US/NATO out of Serbia!