Tuesday  May 18  1999  SCMP

                   Camdessus urges caution

               DAVID SAUNDERS

               Recent rallies on Asia's financial markets are
               premature and smack of "irrational euphoria",
               according to the International Monetary Fund's
               managing director Michel Camdessus.

               Speaking in Hong Kong, Mr Camdessus
               warned that while the new-found optimism
               across the region was understandable as
               economies started the process of recovery,
               much work needed to be done in terms of
               financial restructuring.

               The recovery on stock markets, while
               appropriate after almost two years of turmoil,
               was happening a little too rapidly, he said.

               "People were talking about a deep recession in
               the making for Asia . . . Now we are possibly
               at a turning point, or even possibly after the
               turning point," Mr Camdessus said.

               "But I am a little bit concerned that after
               instances of excessive pessimism, we are now
               in a phase . . . of a degree of irrational
               euphoria. So we must be careful in our
               judgment."

               However, during a speech beforehand, at the
               Pacific Basin Economic Council's international
               general meeting, Mr Camdessus noted
               considerable progress had been made towards
               improving the international financial system.

               "We are at the point now where - let me be a
               little impertinent - central banks no longer
               compete for a reputation for secrecy but for
               one of transparency," he said.

               He called for full liberalisation of capital
               movements in a "prudent and well sequenced
               fashion".

               He said that while the ultimate goal of financial
               institutions and all governments should be for
               trade liberalisation and greater regulatory
               transparency, he acknowledged there was
               sometimes a case to argue for capital controls
               to be imposed on a temporary basis.

               "Generally, consensus is emerging that capital
               controls do not deal effectively with
               fundamental economic imbalances, but may
               only be useful in certain circumstances," he
               said, adding they were in fact accounted for
               within the IMF's own articles of agreement.

               "[But] controls may have a place when there is
               the risk of a crisis, but only to allow a breathing
               space for other fundamental measures to take
               effect."

               Such controls were generally more effective
               when imposed on capital inflows rather than
               outflows, such as those erected by the
               Malaysian Government in September.

               Any future work on financial reforms needed
               to include social consideration, he said. The
               financial crisis had exposed the inadequacy of
               social welfare systems across Asia, where
               people had traditionally relied on family-based
               support.

               Mr Camdessus also said stronger nations had to
               do more to integrate developing states, which
               were not benefiting from the global economy.

               "Too little is being done by industrial countries
               to facilitate this integration, for instance by
               opening their markets or by extending official
               development assistance," he said.

               Mr Camdessus said all financial institutions,
               including the IMF itself, had to ensure that they
               evolved in line with the changing global
               economy and that all countries were given an
               opportunity to participate in the
               decision-making process.

               Asked for his observations on the Hong Kong
               economy, Mr Camdessus said the IMF
               believed it had reached a turning point,
               although unemployment remained high.

               He said the SAR Government was right to
               defend the peg and retain it even though it had
               undergone immense pressure.