I realize that it appears that I called for a
victory for the Albanians of some sort, if not
necessarily the UCK/KLA whom I've already
said I don't support.  That is not what I intended.
I only said that refugees would not return unless
there was such a victory.
     I have given up on the refugees returning, unlike
the NATO diplomats.  The sooner they do too, the
better, unfortunately.  I am not applauding this
outcome.  I am staring it in the face and saying,
"there it is, tough."
     The hard part will be coming up with that fig leaf
to get NATO to stop bombing.  Probably it will include
some commitment to the refugees being returned.  Well,
that was promised in Bosnia-Herzegovina, but, hah!, it has
not happened.
     I've said before the UN is the obvious entity to be an
international overseer, with the OSCE a possible second
choice.  But I don't think that even rule by either of them will
lead to a return of the refugees in significant numbers without
an Albanian "victory."  Again, this is not a call for such a
victory.
    BTW, with regard to those happy Albanians lolling about
in the northeast, let me note that we have already discussed
how there has been much less "cleansing" in the north by
the Serbs.  This is, of course, one of the reasons that partition
is not a likely option (I have just sent a letter about partition to
the Washington Post after another dingbat went on about it
and how the "monuments so precious to the Serbs" are allegedly
in the northeast of Kosovo-Metohiha.  Gag!!).
Barkley Rosser
PS:  I have no more to say about the Kurds and the Kosovars
per se.