Mark Rickling wrote:
>I disagree. I'm sure our experiences are different (plus I am unfamiliar
>with the pomo literature to which you refer), but I see an unexamined faith
>in the inevitability of Progress as pervasive as ever. Certainly when one
>considers the teaching and writing of American history in the US from the
>college level on down, a teleological conception of the historical process
>is the norm. To question the premise that today was better than yesterday,
>and tomorrow will bring even more betterment is to be dismissed as some
>sort of Luddite lunatic, not to be taken seriously.

I don't disagree with you on the above at all. I already wrote that those
who belong to the opinion-making professions (esp. liberals) talk and act
like they believe in 'progress.' Textbook writers are part of this group.

In contrast to opinion-making professionals, what do other Americans think
of history textbooks (or Clinton's speeches or whatever)?

1.      They don't remember what's in them.

or

2.      "Yeah, right."

The second response summarizes the cynicism of the weak.

Yoshie