Following is my nomination for the Best Post of the week.

It was posted on Johnson's Russian List #3273 of May 7, 199

From: Wayne Merry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: 3271-Cohen/Yugoslavia,
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999

Stephen F. Cohen has performed a great service in his brief opinion piece
in
"The Nation" by drawing attention to the profound moral failures of United
States policy in Yugoslavia.  Mr. Cohen is right on the mark in condemning
the use of bombardment of Serbian civil society as an instrument of
American
policy, an instrument we condemn as barbaric when employed by others. Mr.
Cohen is also correct when he states that our military actions have greatly
increased the scale of suffering of the Kosovar Albanians without
preparation to assist them.  I will add only that the logical, and moral,
consequence of our complicity in this humanitarian disaster is to accept
national responsibility for the displaced victims on a large scale, either
in this country or in the Balkans (recognizing that the likelihood of their
return to Kosovo anytime soon is near zero).  We cannot undo our mistakes,
but this country certainly can recognize failure, change course, and
undertake to compensate the innocent human "collateral damage" from our
misuse of our great power.  Again, thanks to Mr. Cohen for his perception
and courage of expression.

Wayne Merry, Director
Program on European Societies in Transition
The Atlantic Council of the United States
Washington, DC