July 12, 1999

Holocaust Creationism

by JON WIENER

Between 1945 and 1947 the United States underwent perhaps the most
breathtaking ideological transformation in its history. "The Good War,"
which had united America with Russia to save Western civilization from Nazi
barbarism, ended, and within two years the incarnation of evil had been
relocated: Germany was suddenly our ally in defending freedom from the USSR.

This astonishing ideological shift was accomplished by invoking the theory
of totalitarianism, which held that Nazi Germany and Soviet Russia were
"essentially alike." Whatever the intellectual strengths or weaknesses of
the theory, it served to marginalize talk about what we today call the
Holocaust: The suggestion that the destruction of European Jewry was the
defining feature of the Nazi regime undermined the logic of the cold war by
denying the essential similarity of Hitler and Stalin. The dizzying
reversal redefined discussion of German war crimes as evidence of
disloyalty to the "free world."

A riveting new book by historian Peter Novick describes how "the Holocaust"
as we speak of it today--a singular event--barely existed in Jewish
consciousness or anybody else's at the end of World War II and for many
years afterward. American Jews had learned by 1945 about the fate of "the 6
million." But for Jews and non-Jews alike, it was the overall course of the
war and the deaths of 50 million people that were the dominant facts. Jews
understood themselves to be one group among many that suffered immense and
heartbreaking losses.

(Complete review is at http://www.thenation.com/)

Louis Proyect