>The underlying assumptions in this discourse make no sense to me. I
>made a number
>of comments re Brad's stuff but there was no response.
>   Just a few random notes.
>        1) What is utility?
>        2) Is utility measurable in cardinal terms?
>        3) Are interpersonal comparisons of utility possible?

Well, we make them all the time: any government policy--any political
program--makes such interpersonal utility comparisons.

I myself don't think that Benthamite utility exists. But I do think
that it is useful for thinking about distributional questions to
suppose that it does exist--and that people try to maximize it.

This is a matter of taste, I agree. But it seems to me that going
down the non-utility road ultimately traps you into a language of
"rights" that can become very inhumane, or risks giving too little
weight to the preferences that people express...

Brad DeLong