I am still trying to wade through everything.  I am afraid that if
things continue this way, I will have to do some unsubbing.  I do not
like to see pen-l turn so nasty.

> Brad De Long wrote:
>
> >... and is likely to remain racist for a long time to come--unless
> >America's left can unify and organize...
>

> Doug Henwood responded:
>
> I just read a quote attributed to Ronald Reagan, of all people, in
> today's paper. He said that someone who agrees with you 80% of the
> time isn't your enemy. Maybe I'm just entering my dotage a few years
> behind the Gipper, but I think he's got a point.

What Doug and Brad wrote above is right on target.  I cannot think of
anybody on the list with whom I agree 95% of the time.

Henry was offended that Brad referred to him defecating into the
stream.  No, I don't like to see that sort of nasty exchange, but then
Henry has been less than polite to Brad -- who is also taking heat on
the economic history list.

Charles was offended that I mentioned him as well.  I meant no harm,
only to say that this discussion must stop.

I also must ask for a halt to the personal insults regarded Doug and
Louis.  Again, I don't care who threw the first stone -- although I
mentioned to one of the participants that I thought that he did, but I
could be wrong.

I must insist that we put an end to the nastiness on all of these
threads.

Henry suggested that it has to do with my objective of maximizing the
number of people -- well, not exactly.  I would like to see more people,
but also better, more useful material.  I suspect that if I were a
sensitive person -- and I am not all that sensitive -- I suspect that I
would not dare to speak up for fear of having abuse heaped on me, as has
been the case of Henry, Brad, Max and others who have waded into the
fray.

I know that there are more than 400 people out there lurking who do not
speak up, and I would like to hear from them.

Finally, if X says Y, then attack Y, not X -- I wrote that way
intentionally so that I can recall what it is like to write like an
economist.  Please, no more personal attacks.  If you hate somebody,
write to them directly.

Please, I don't want to unsub anybody.

--

Michael Perelman