Henry,

Two quotes from Lenin (which I can't locate now in his writings, but
both sound like him):

1. There are 3 revolutionary virtues: 1. Patience. 2. Patience. 3.
Patience.

2. (roughly, from memory) The sight of petty bourgeiois youth driven
to a frenzy by the horrors of imperialism is all too common.

You are not, of course, a petty bourgeois youth. But you are allowing
yourself to be driven to a frenzy, and it does not make for good
revolutionary politics not for following the CPC advice of "Uniting
all that can be united" -- which always allowed for a good deal of
flexibility within that "all who can be." Mao was correct to postpone
for a long time the struggle with Deng, even though when it came he
(posthumously) lost it. You need to postpone for a while some of
the struggles you are engaged in -- to widen for the time being your
definition of the "all who can be united." That doesn't mean you can't
fight some of them -- but it's got to be more like a contradiction
amongst the people, less like a fight to the death.

There is, true, no better issue than racism to draw sharp lines on --
but as Michael says this fight is no longer drawing lines. It is merely
kicking up dust and obscurring lines.

Fight them, but within limits, and don't let them push you to a
frenzy.

>From another angle. I think I've had close to 400 posts today from
just 3 maillists. I can't read them all. Unless the traffic is a little
better
controlled, nothing gets heard.

Carrol