Since I wrote "the book" on these questions, my position has been
evolving.  Here is how I see it now.  There are at least three general
"modern" value systems (modern in the sense that they do not rely on
local traditions for validation), personal utility/well-being, social
justice, and substantive well-being (e.g. the lists produced by Amartya
Sen and Martha Nussbaum).  Each is capable of being defined rigorously
and, if not measured rigorously, at least measured up to the limit
imposed by known distortions.  Any rounded view of what it is we want to
achieve in this world should give at least some weight to all three of
these, recognizing that there are often conflicts between them.

I've written a few papers developing this perspective in the context of
occupational safety and health policy.  Really, you could pick any other
aspect of the political economy and do pretty much the same thing.  I
began by trying to critique the NCE obsession with utility uber alles,
but now I think that any monolithic approach is seriously flawed.

Peter