Michael Perelman wrote:

> The problem that Ajit ignores is that most capital goods do not have a *price*.  For
>example, a
> specialized piece of capital goods may be specific to my firm.  It might have a very
>low value for any
> other firm or have to be sold for scrap.  If an accident destroyed this machine, I
>would buy a new one.

_______________

Michael, your firm must have a market value today. How do you arrive at the market
value of your firm? You
must, or rather the market must impute some value to your vintage capital goods.
Whatever the value imputed
by the market of your particular specialized capital good is the price at with it
should be valued for
determining the rate of profit in your firm today. If it happens to have no market
value then its
contribution to the denominator is zero. The fundamental point I made was that the
calculation of
generalized rate of profits has nothing to do with inflation or deflation. And i fail
to see what inflation
or deflation have to do with your particular example, where the good seem to have no
market price to begin
with. Cheers, ajit sinha