Regrettably yes, there is a diametric opposition between North and
South strategies (though to pose it in these terms, rather than
class terms, is terribly misleading). It's mainly between those who
want to shut down embryonic forms of the global state (not just
WTO, but IMF/WB etc), and those who want to reform the
embryonic global state institutions and make them slightly nicer.
Aristocratic Federation of Labour leader John Sweeney testified to
Congress last week that he thinks closing the IMF "would be a
mistake." Most of the rest of the South movements would disagree.
Sweeney will be flying business class to Seattle and will sleep well
in a luxury suite before going hat in hand to Summers, Barshefsky
and Moore, to beg for a seat at the table so as to impose
labour/social/eco clauses, about which he has done no real
consultation with the people affected in the South. In contrast,
Peoples Global Action and allies will be doing a bus tour with
radical Third World and other international folk, arriving in Seattle,
camping on friends' floors, and hitting the streets to call for No New
WTO Round, and in fact to network amongst themselves about
what pressure points can be applied to forcibly withdraw their
national elites' support for the WTO more generally.

The week before in Johannesburg, I am reliably told, a similar group
to PGA--Jubilee South--will gather the best forces from the Third
and Second and Fourth Worlds to discuss how to take forward the
fantastic momentum on debt relief and remove the vicious
conditionalities, the half-hearted reforms and the right-wing allies
(Sachs), and replace them with a genuine development strategy. I
believe this will ultimately have to entail an amplification of the
Focus on the Global South campaign against the IMF, and the
World Bank Bond Boycott campaign to defund the Bank.

That'll further open up the key lines of debate between CoOpted
NGOs (CONGOs) and AFL-CIO opportunists inside the Beltway on
the one hand, and radical social, environmental and labour
movements of the South on the other. The WTO meeting is another
chapter in the same story, I would guess.

My rhetoric aside, does this sound like a reasonable analysis of
the way the array of social forces is developing? How does this
look from the Northwest?