I also agree with Jim Devine.  One reason GDP does not measure real growth
in many countries such as India is that the markets there are not fully
capitalized, much of the economic exchange is still represented by barter
and home production.  The standard national accounting system does not
capture non-capital and non-cash exchanges in any meaningful way.  maggie
coleman