From: Charles Brown [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2001 11:37 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [PEN-L:7655] GDP Byte by Dean Baker, 1/31/01

On one level, isn't the creditor class's ( and its executive committee , the
Fed) constant concern about inflation , and method of fighting it by raising
interest rates as simple as:

1) When interest rates go up, creditors get more profits just straight up ( so
the claim that the interest rates are raised to fight inflation is a fig leaf
for just directly increasing their profits), and

2) Inflation helps debtors and hurts creditors.

CB

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 02/01/01 11:22AM >>>
As Vickrey pointed out, it is unexpected changes in the rate of inflation and
not inflation in and of itself that is of potential concern (in general, not
under current conditions in our economy).  As the Nobel-winner also emphasized,
unemployment has greater cost social and economic costs than even unexpected
changes in the rate of inflation, and the 'cure' for inflation hurts more than
inflation itself.