> 2) Most of these lists are dominated by posters from the first world.
>
> Most posters from the non-english speaking countries are from the first world.
> One potential reason is that, despite lack of real democracy, these countries
> are not as repressive as the non-first world countries and hence their people
> are less concerned with revealing their views to the "big brothers" on the net.
> I remember how scared I was when I sent my first post to an anti-establishment
> list. You don't want to spend any time in a Turkish prison, believe me. Are
> prisons in S. Korea or Argentina significantly different? Who guarantees that
> PEN-L is not open to some "big brothers"? I don't think we can do much about
> this though.

snip

> How can we encourage those subscribers from S. Korea, Indoneasia, Brazil,
> Argentina, Turkey and the like, some of whom most likely are non-experts and
> some of whom most likely are not-so-well-known experts to join the discussions?
>
> Best,
> Sabri

Let me suggest that anyone who is afraid because of domestic
repression to post to the list send their thoughts to Michael and
ask him to delete the name and affiliation and post it to the list.

If Michael doesn't want to do this, I would be quite willing.
However, I am frequently away and unsubscribed so that it could
be a month or more before I could forward any such missives.

Paul Phillips,
Economics,
University of Manitoba