> Date:          Thu, 31 May 2001 17:48:25 +0000
> From:          Rob Schaap <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Back in the sixties, when I lived in
> those parts, tribal lines were politically decisive, too.  I wonder if there
> remains a dangerous tension between Shona and N'debele, and if it's still true
> that an acceptable leader would pretty well have to be a Shona, Patrick?

Yaah, probably so. But the opposition Movement for Democratic Change
has handled the ethnicity issue extremely well. And in a way, so has
ZanuPF, after a fierce fight against Ndebele folk during the early
1980s, leading eventually to a unity pact between two
once ethnic-grounded parties. So there are today few, if any, surface
hints of ethnic tension (aside from white/black) in politics. And
there are a few other smaller ethnic groups ("tribes"), who mainly
support opposition parties.

> > Speaking of white folks' gossip, what do you make of the "plot" to
> > oust Mbeki involving Ramaphosa et al.?
> I thought this story, or at least the 'plot' angle, was of Mbeki's authorship?
>  I tend to agree with the Beeb's take on this.  What are state instruments
> doing involving themselves with internal party matters?  And what's so
> illegitimate about Ramaphosa having a go, anyway?

He knows that he's the lead candidate for president in 2009, but he
keeps screwing up large companies in the meantime.

> Which way would the unions
> jump, I wonder?

Probably out of the ANC/SACP/Cosatu Alliance within the next decade.
For now, they were very angry about the Plot story, as it showed they
had no real role in the process of affecting internal ANC politics.

> They do seem to have an on-again off-again relationship with
> their old comrade.

Mostly off. But the ANC big tent keeps opening up the left flank to
let them in for a wee while... but that too will change.