That depends on whether accumulation can be endogenous, or needs an
expansion into space.
Hypothesis of endogenous accumulation is a consequence of surplus value as
being extracted from the work of each producer. It implies a
self-regenerating capitalism. In other words, it is the perpetuum mobile.
And then, if you don't hit it...
On the other hand, if accumulation needs expansion, it periodically meets a
limit, until the last one: the planetary limit ("globalization"). But this
does not make it any the less necessary to "hit it", for if we wait and see,
"it" will take the whole civilization to its grave.