> Oh, that's OK then.  I'll stop my carping and let PK continue
> his tireless task of speaking truth to power.
>
> Carl

I know you're being ironic, but I'll reply in a non-ironic way: PK doesn't
speak truth to power except within the usual political context of "what's
good for capital" (the real world of power that's idealized by economists
like PK as a "market system" perceived as good -- with some technocratic
fiddling -- for "the public interest" as long as "special interests" like
labor unions don't have excessive influence).

What's really venial among academic economists is the "winner-take-all"
system in which "super-star" economists (who are selected by
similarly-minded neoclassical ideologues) run the "top" graduate programs,
get abundant research grants, attain high-paying positions, publish in
"prestigious" journals, etc., which allow them to in turn pull in cash from
corporations as consultants, to publish in establishmentarian outlets like
the NY TIMES, and to choose the next group of super-stars, while deciding
which departments are "top," who gets grants, who gets promoted, which
journals are "prestigious" and who gets published in them, etc. In this
context, PK is what C. Wright Mills termed a "new entrepreneur" (in his
WHITE COLLAR), a person who prospers by jumping back and forth between
academic, business, and government bureaucracies (like Henry the K).

Jim Devine