>Rakesh Bhandari wrote:
>
>>Why should capitalism be more vulnerable to recessions and
>>stagnation simply because the profit rate is falling or low?
>
>Low profits mean low investment, which means a slower rate of growth
>and reduced technical innovation. Profits are the main source of
>investment funds, and with profits expectations low, there's no
>reason to invest. And animal spirits wither. But surely everyone
>knows this?
>
>Doug

Well Marx himself says the opposite.

"'All other things being equal, the power of a nation to save from
its profits varies with the rate of profits, is great when they are
high, less, when low; but as the rate of profit declines, al other do
not remain equal...A low rate of profit is ordinarily accompanied by
a rapid rate of accumulation, relatively to the numbers of the
people, as in England [note this is what my post was suggesting]...a
high rate of profit by a lower rate of accumulation, relatively to
the numbers of people.' Examples: Poland, Russia, India, etc.
(Richard Jones, An Introductory Lecture on Political Economy)
"Jones is right to stres that , despite the falling rate of profit,
the 'inducements and faculties to accumulate' increase. Firstly, on
the account of the growing relative surplus population. Secondly,
because as the productivity of labour gros, dos do the mass of use
values represented by teh same exchange value, i.e., the material
elements of capital. Thirdly, because of the increasing diversity of
branches of production. Fourthly, through the development of the
credit system, etc. and the ease with which the possessor of money
can now transform it into capital without having to become an
industrial capitalsits. Fifthly, the growth in needs and desire for
enrichment. Sixthly, the growing mass of fixed capital, etc."

(Capital vol 3, p. 374-5. Vintage.)

rb