This raises a question I have always wondered about. In calculating
the CPI, the BLS  uses fixed weights which are updated only every
decade or so, right?  Right-wingers claim that this overstates
increases in the cost of living because, in reality, people switch
from high-priced goods to low-priced substitutes.  But isn't it
equally likely that it understates inflation, because as prices of
necessities rise (like housing and health care) they eat up a
growing fraction of consumer income and play a bigger role
in the cost of living?  I mean this seems obvious to me, but
during all that hullaballoo over the CPI a few years back, no one
ever said this, so maybe there's an error in my logic?

Ellen