I've scanned the footnotes and definitions for data for US local government
finances, but can't figure out:

Do state and the federal govt. pay property taxes to local governments in
the US?  Or, do they pay a grant in lieu of property taxes (as in Canada),
and if so, is it included under property tax revenues (as in Canada), or
under intergovernmental transfer revenue?  (I'm aware that  District of
Columbia is a special case.)

There is currently a big campaign underway in Canada to give municipal
governments more fiscal (and even constitutional!) power. It is usually
motivated as necessary for cities to become more 'competitive' locations in
the world market, especially as federal and provincial governments withdraw
or download service responsibilities to local governments. The US is being
cited as a **positive example** of the ability of (some) local governments
to tax local income, sales, payroll,  hotel rooms, etc., while in Canada
local governments are (generally) restricted to taxing only real property.
I'm trying the show that more fiscal power for individual local governments
generally means more disparity in the public goods and services local
governments provide.

Bill Burgess