I was going to jump all over this until I
read the column.  He's going to have a rough
time with the 'smear' line.

His column says:

"Of necessity, dispossession is implemented by force, and it follows that
resistance to the coloniser must also be violent."

(which I agree with, by the way)

and:

"Abandoned, isolated, beleaguered and unarmed, a few Palestinian men and
women have responded to this massive force by weaponising their own deaths
through suicide bombings, provoking still greater violence against
themselves."

(There is no negative comment on the suicide bombings
in the column.  At the very least this is not smart
politics for someone resident in the U.S.)

He has a right to say all of this, but he's going to
have a hard time denying that his column was supportive
or at least apologetic for what in the U.S. is understood
simply as "Palestinian terrorism."

Here's the column:
http://web1.ahram.org.eg/weekly/2002/601/op12.htm

If I was him I'd invoke academic freedom and try to
mitigate the likely negative inferences of the latter
statement.

mbs

M. Shahid Alam is a friend.  He sent me this and I asked if I
could forward it.  I think that it is sad, but in line with the
McKinney campaign.

I am writing this note to keep you posted on a smear campaign
that has been
initiated against me for my support of the academic boycott of
Israel. A
couple of days back, Jerusalem Post published a malicious report
on my
essay on the boycott after it had been published in Al-Ahram;
this was
first published several weeks back in CP. While it made no
mention of the
title or the contents of my article, the JP accused me of
"advocating
Palestinian terror against Israel." This was a cue for others in
US to jump
in. I received several e-mails, so did Northeastern. The next
morning
Boston Herald published a similarly malicious report: "Prof
Shocks
Northeastern with Defense of Suicide Bombers." I had a call from
Jewish
Advocate and Bloomberg News too, but I haven't seen what they
have written.
This is clearly a smear campaign, and the intent is to harm me.
My
University issued a statement which, unfortunately, seems to
accept the
accusations; though, in a letter to me the same spokeswoman
states just the
opposite.

I have mobilized some emails to Boston Herald; I wouldn't trouble
about JP
for now, though they started the campaign. What else should I do?
I am
wondering if it would be appropriate for someone to write a
report on this
smear campaign: the malicious attempt to punish me for making the
moral
case against Israel. Is there someone who might do it. I have all
the
resources that could be used for writing such a report. If you
know of
someone who could do this I would be happy to make this
information
available.

Thanks for publishing my poems. Several people have written to
express
their appreciation of political poetry.

Thanks for listening,

Shahid