Question:

How relevant do you all think the Bush-Hitler comment was?  I think that
German Chancellor was right on...the "war on Iraq" is a strategically timed
diversion from an ailing economy prior to an important election.  Hitler was
known for employing political diversions.  Considering Saddam has been doing
what he is doing for several years it makes sense that Bush and the
republicans would want to exploit this issue for the benefit of the
election.

Can anybody give me a synopsis of the German economy prior to the invasion
of the Sudatenland?  I know it was bad and there was a huge war debt being
paid by the German people.  How did their economy then compare or contrast
with our economy now? I think it is telling that the Germans might try to
warn of us fascist or protofascist tactics used by the Bush administration.
Who would know better the seductive appeal of fascist rhetoric?  Logged on
to a site which displays old German propoganda, their version of the
invasion of the Sudatenland seems pretty reasonable.  The Nazis, after all,
declared they were liberating oppressed German people in Austria.
Interestingly, Britain and France went along on the first conquest--they
were willing to give up the Sudatenland to avoid stepping to the Germans and
only opposed Hitler when he moved on Poland.

Also, did any of you read about Bush's family's assets being frozen in 42
because they were trading with the enemy?  Also, do any of you know anything
about alleged Nazis coming to the US and joining the Republican Party in the
late 40s and early 50s?  I had checked this out some time ago and the
sources seemed to be coming from a major French paper but I can't remember
the name of it.

I found several references to the Moussolini quote on the net but never did
find the source.  Still looking.  Someone asked for the source of "Fascism
should rightly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and
corporate power." If it is out there, eventually I will find it.

Lisa S.