Ken's response on Canadians' reaction to cuts and proposed
privatizations of medicare, while I agree with what he said, leaves a
lot more unsaid.  Let me summarize as briefly as I can.

1. In the early 1990's  the federal government cut a lot out of the
transfers to the provinces to finance medicare.  They also changed
from dedicated transfers to the provinces for health care, education
and welfare, and converted it all to a block funding that the
provinces could do with as they like.  At the same time, they
transferred tax points to the provinces so that they could raise
provincial taxes to offset the decline in federal contributions.

2.  The response of the provinces was to cut health care
expeditures -- "reform" it was called.  This was also at the height of
the 1990-1993 recession when government deficits were going
through the roof so the cuts were justified on the basis of
debt/deficit reduction.  In Manitoba, approximately 10 per cent of
medical personnel (mainly nurses) were given pink slips, nursing
schools were closed and the intake of students into medical school
was halved.  (I have just completed a study of the labour market
implications of this 'reform'.  If anyone is interested, please write to
the Economics Department, U of Manitoba, Wpg, Man, R3T 5V5
and ask for my paper to the Delta Marsh Seminar on Health Care
Reform.)

3.  Many of the provinces found that costs of their medicare
program were rising though, almost without exception, those costs
paid for by the public insurance program were actually **falling** as
a percentage of GDP.  Almost the sole reason for the rising cost
was the cost of drugs, which many provinces insured under
medicare for at least all of the people in hospital but control over
the price of drugs was in the private market place.

4.  Right wing governments used the rising cost of drugs as an
excuse for arguing that public medicare was 'unsustainable' (sic)
and that we had to turn to private medicine as a solution.  This then
led the corporate media to trumpet the **big lie** that medicare
was unsustainable and that the only way to bring back decent
health care was to privatize and let wealthy patients get privileged
access to the health care system.  As one Conservative polititian
put it, "I was tired of having to wait in a roomful full of poor people
before I could see a doctor."  Besides which, in order to reduce
corporate and income taxes on the rich, there had to be further
cuts to public expenditure and since health care was (and is) the
biggest single government expenditure, this required cuts to health
care expenditure.

5.  With regard to the public's reaction to the cuts -- why no public
outcries?  Well, I think there have been.  Here in Manitoba, the
main election program of the (sort of social democratic) NDP
involved more expenditure on medicare.  The result of the election
which was largely fought around the issue, was a resounding
defeat of the Conservatives.  Since then, the main economic
program of the New Democrats has been repairing medicare, with
apparent strong support from the electorate.  In Ontario, which was
the source of the original post on this stream, the Conservatives
are running a distant second in recent opinion poll, in part because
of the debacle of medicare funding, but probably more because
they deregulated and privatized electricity in the province with the
result of massive increases in the prices of electricity that are
screwing Ontarians accross the board.

6.  The real culprit in this whole debacle is first and foremost the
Conservative government of Alberta, a province originally populated
by Americans and who have adopted the politics of (Bush's)Texas.
The second culpable body in this is the corporate media which
have spent millions of print inches arguing that public medical
insurance is not sustainable and repeating all sorts of totally untrue
'facts' generated by the private health care industry. The fact is that
in Manitoba, the Conservative government privatized the home care
system -- and as soon as they were able to do so -- 'renationalized'
it because the cost under private delivery skyrocketed.

By the way, almost all these studies and reports are available on
the net at Http.//www.policyalternatives.ca.

Far more than enough for now.

Paul