A friend writes from Albuquerque NM......

Dan:

Clearly the rules for everything are changing and I don't see a way back, for principles of any kind. Leaders have re-defined what the traffic will bear. I feel so overwhelmed by the scope of it, stymied, stupid, and spread out on a sheer rock face with nothing to grab to change the predicament.

Americans, either ignorant of their own narrowness of viewpoint or jingoistically on board with any ass-kicking agenda that comes along, want to think they're getting straight stuff from their press. Local press, like their parent networks, are desperate not only to report support, but to make us all feel good and righteous about it (or shamed without it), as if unanimity equals virtue and that there's inherent glory in any aggression we perpetrate. The peace movement wants to feel good too, but the military is carpet bombing the moral high ground.

I am simply distraught at the absence of debate, that an initiative of so little merit and such stupendous impact was rammed into place and cannot be turned around. Whatever occurs, we've already claimed victory and W eagerly awaits his iconic status. Will we even have an election in 2004, or shall there be continuity by acclamation (martial law) to assure homeland security? Bush has guaranteed this will become an ever more dangerous place to live. As I look at the paralysis of Congress, I begin truly to grieve the end of democracy as we knew it, and the loss of my country. How does the overt mendacity of this administration prevail? I am fearful that the citizenry is not up to this battle, because I've seen its weaknesses in the mirror.

Re Arnett: I think there's got to be a dilemma for him between doing the expected award winning reportage from his head (laying out the facts he can collect, connecting the dots with his informed perspective, sending them to headquarters) and "doing the right thing" from his heart (framing his facts and applying his perspective free of the known biases of his employer). He is not alone. It's indicative of the collective chaos of this war -- frankly of any war -- that a news consumer has to sort among biases. The rule arrogantly prescribed for the whole world is "you're either with us or against us." Therefore us is a monolith, and "not in our name" is denied relevance. So now, hopelessly labelled as an anti-war sympathizer, Arnett will ply his wares with heightened credibility at the Mirror and tainted or no credibility on the coalition side. The US "wins", since his exposure here will be limited to those who make the extra effort to find alternative coverage. I would like to cut Arnett some slack, but he has marginalized himself more effectively than higher powers could have. But his next book should be interesting.

--Pat