From: "joanna bujes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 7:33 PM
Subject: Re: [PEN-L] The Natasha trade: a note on the political economy of
prostitution

> Jurriaan writes:
>
> "Prostitution is, according
> to my analysis, the future for many people on the earth under capitalism,
> other things remaining equal, because the more sexuality becomes
integrated
> into the accumulation process, and the more people must rely on individual
> resources which they do not really have (for example, through debt) the
more
> those people who "fall out of the boat" in this sense are forced into
> prostitution. And in this way, capitalism begins to sort out what love
> really is, in a negative, reified way. Which is what capitalism does: it
> creates hell on earth for masses of people, but simultaneously develops
the
> productive forces to such an extent, that we can at least see what heaven
on
> earth would look like."
>
> Not the future, the present. I think this is what Marx had in mind when he
wrote "Money is the pimp between man and the object of his desire." All
human activity under capitalism is alienated: we prostitute our
intelligence, our labor, our bodies, and some, our sexuality. Whether
capitalism furnishes a negative definition of love is debatable. It may be
that some will react to the present order by understanding that the only
thing you can exchange love for...is love; some may even realize that love
cannot be bartered for anything...even love; but the great majority seem to
have reached a very different conclusion: everything is for sale; you are
what you buy. I think it is this specter that haunts global consciousness --
that to be able to buy nothing is to be nothing. And thus, in our effort to
exist on a social level (when that society is a capitalist one), in
accepting the terms of a capitalist existence as essential to human
identity, we come to fear the demise of capitalism as a loss of our most
essential selves.